Follow Mystic Post on Facebook

Big Catholic Media, not unexpectedly, dutifully published the Bishop of Mostar’s recent negative comments about Medjugorje and the visionaries.

Here are some of the reports:

Not surprising and with malice intended, the Catholic news reports all failed to mention that the Vatican was been very clear that when the Bishop of Mostar speaks about Medjugorje he is expressing his personal views and not those of the Church.

In 1998, Archbishop Bertone, responding to Mons. Gilbert Aubry was clarifying the Church’s position on pilgrimages to Medjugorje. In one paragraph, he refers to that statement above by Bishop Peric and writes:

Bishop Peric said in his letter to the Secretary General of “Famille Chretienne”, declaring: “My conviction and my position is not only ‘non constat de supernaturalitate,’ but likewise, ‘constat de non supernaturalitate’ of the apparitions or revelations in Medjugorje”, should be considered the expression of the personal conviction of the Bishop of Mostar which he has the right to express as Ordinary of the place, but which is and remains his personal opinion.

Full text of Letter

. May 1998 letter of Archbishop Bertone to Bishop Aubry.

Commenting on a statement by the Bishop of Mostar that the alleged apparitions were not simply lacking evidence of supernaturality but were in fact NOT supernatural (i.e. definitively so), the Archbishop writes,

The main thing I would like to point out is that the Holy See does not ordinarily take a position of its own regarding supposed supernatural phenomena as a court of first instance. As for the credibility of the “apparitions” in question, this Dicastery respects what was decided by the bishops of the former Yugoslavia in the Declaration of Zadar, April 10, 1991: “On the basis of the investigations so far, it can not be affirmed that one is dealing with supernatural apparitions and revelations.” Since the division of Yugoslavia into different independent nations it would now pertain to the members of the Episcopal Conference of Bosnia-Herzegovina to eventually reopen the examination of this case, and to make any new pronouncements that might be called for.

What Bishop Peric said in his letter to the Secretary General of Famille Chretienne, declaring: “My conviction and my position is not only non constat de supernaturalitate, but likewise, constat de non supernaturalitate of the apparitions or revelations in Medjugorje”, should be considered the expression of the personal conviction of the Bishop of Mostar which he has the right to express as Ordinary of the place, but which is and remains his personal opinion.

Finally, as regards pilgrimages to Medjugorje, which are conducted privately, this Congregation points out that they are permitted on condition that they are not regarded as an authentication of events still taking place and which still call for an examination by the Church.  Letter to Bishop Aubrey

Thus, since 1991 the Church has not sought to prevent the participation of Catholics in Medjugorje related events (pilgrimages, conferences etc.) based on their private opinion, while restraining the opinion of clergy acting in any ecclesiastical capacity.

44 thoughts on “Inconvenient Truth… Catholic Media Leaves Out Official Vatican Ruling: “Bishop of Mostar’s views on Medjugorje should be considered the expression of his personal conviction, which is and remains his PERSONAL OPINION”

• March 2, 2017 at 12:51 am

The apparitions at Medjugorje are the greatest events to happen to the world since the birth of Christ, 2000 years ago. It is a source of countless conversions, miracles, and phenomena that defies natural law. When God wants to tell the world something, He speaks through children, seers, and mystics. Blessed Mother is the messenger God sends to us at Medjugorje that gives messages both privately to the seers and publicly to the world. Her first words to the seers, after she identified herself as the Queen of Peace, were “I have come to tell the world that God exists. Do not persist in your unbelief, but believe!” Praise be Jesus for sending his beloved mother to the world for the conversion of sinners and the unbelievers in God. P.S I have been there twice in 1988 and 1998 and my life has never been the same.

• March 2, 2017 at 7:26 am

I really feel it is time the church made a decision, this one mans opinion carries weight, it made me question my belief, I returned to my full catholic religion after many years away, purely down to a visit to Medjugorje. That visit left me in NO doubt whatsoever that mother Mary was present and calling me back to my faith and to pray for many others to do the same.
    Anything that brings the world back to God the holy father, to live by the lord Jesus teachings of love and peace, can only benefit the world.
    If in doubt make the journey visit Medjugorje for yourself.

• March 3, 2017 at 1:41 am

Me, too, Bernie….I was away for many, many years….1st trip there, Mother called me back to the fold.

• March 2, 2017 at 12:55 pm

It seems that this type of message is proliferated once a year or so by Catholic media and is then spread by the “not so informed brethren” of our faith. Brothers and sisters, be well informed before you spread this nonsense. Seek out the words of Cardinal Christoph Schornbourg of Vienna ( a member of the CDF) who investigated Medjugorje and issured a report to The Vatican. Read what he has to say about the validity of the apparitions. I will not quote him because you should search out the truth on your own. You will be pleasantly surprised.

• March 3, 2017 at 8:41 am

And wouldn’t he be a great Pope! Pray pray pray.

• March 2, 2017 at 8:06 pm

QUESTION…………..How could so many tens of thousands of genuine lasting conversions be accredited to anything other than Gods grace through the Mother of his chosen one, Mary. ? While thirty years of caution has been exercised by our Church leaders in the supernatural claims of Medjugorje, is it not” By their fruits ye shall know them” the only yard stick that can be applied to discern this extra special Phenomenon? I think if I were a Priest or a Bishop and could achieve even if only a fraction of these conversions in my whole life time in the service of Christ’s Church, I would be in no doubt that it would be attributed to some powerful grace at work and marvel in awe at the work of the Holy Spirit. I am a recipient of that grace now since Our Lady directed me to go there in 1985 and would strongly recommend all Priests Bishops and religious to go there in all humility, and many will have a living lasting renewed experience of “SON…., BEHOLD THY MOTHER”

• March 2, 2017 at 8:54 pm

For the bishop’s information, St. John Paul II said, during his time as Pope, that if he was not Pope he would have gone to Medjugorje, He apparently approved the apparitions, it was said that many times he flew over that area in a helicopter and prayed for Medjugorje as they passed over it in the air.

I was there in 1987 and no one can convince me the apparitions are not true. I would stake my life on the things I experienced while there

• March 2, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Medjugorje is a work of Satan and profiteers. Its full of disobedience, broken marriages, demonic activity and destruction of faith. Fatima, Lourdes and Guadalupe were none of that.

• March 3, 2017 at 12:23 am

James, please elaborate on broken marriages, destruction of faith and demonic activities. Or are you a wolf in sheep skin.

• March 3, 2017 at 6:37 am

Medjugorge is not a work of satan has been thousands of conversions , the Church takes to long to approve thank God people don’t wait .

• March 3, 2017 at 11:49 am

James, why would satan want us to convert, pray and fast? satan loves for people like you to spread false accusations and keep people from being converted. You are doing his bidding with your tongue.

• March 3, 2017 at 3:07 pm

The apparitions of Mary are not consistent with others approved. Fomenting disobedience to the local ordinary which no other approved apparition ever did. Priests who impregnated a nun and lost their faculties. Conversions themselves are not sufficient to prove authenticity. Hideous apparitions that changed back to “Mary” with her “apology “. Messages with no apparent purpose, unlike Fatima. Sinister laughing from the images. No miracles. Seers claiming to be in “ecstasy” yet flinching when sudden movements made. Numerous destroyed marriages. After 35 years, with 7 pronouncements from authorities, with continued Vatican silence, stating nothing supernatural happened, should be a signal that something is wrong. Its the work of Satan.

• March 3, 2017 at 4:23 pm

James, I wish I had a dollar for every false accusation that I have read from some of the Medjugorje bashers, I’d be a rich woman. Anyone can write a blog about the apparitions and slant it anyway they want. It doesn’t matter what you believe because the truth is, it is indeed a true apparition of Blessed Mother and the fulfillment of Fatima. Have I committed a sin since my first trip there in 1988? Of course, we are all sinners on a path for holiness. One of the bishops who had stated a negative response to the apparitions, doesn’t believe in any apparitions. (Fatima, Lourdes, etc.) So, that is not fair in the least. He was already biased against it. If you say that the messages have no apparent purpose, then you have not read them. If you haven’t seen the videos of the seers in ecstasy where they don’t react to being stuck with a needle then you need to do more research. I have seen the seers in person having their apparition and there is no question that they have been fooling us for 36 years. The Holy See is the final authority on this matter, not you.

• March 3, 2017 at 4:36 pm

You’re right. The Holy See does have the final say. But given the vast inconsistency and bad fruits, all of which are in the investigation, the Holy See never will.

• March 3, 2017 at 4:58 pm

James, the messenger at Medjugorje is Blessed Mother and sent by The Father. Her first statement after she identified herself as “The Queen of Peace,” was “I have come to tell the world that God exists! Do not persist in your unbelief but, believe!” I’d like to apply that statement to you. Just look at the state of the world and ask yourself why would God not send Blessed Mother? He is a loving God who wants to save every soul. I will ask God to remove the scales from your eyes so that you may also be filled with joy, graces, and His Peace. Praise be Jesus now and forever!

• March 3, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Even Satan believes God exists. Manipulation is his game. Its important that the authority granted the Church from Jesus Christ Himself be respected in this matter. Disobedience to the Church is disobedience to Christ Himself and Our Lady would NEVER make such a statement, which this apparition has, to disobey.

• March 7, 2017 at 3:29 am

Hi James, I am a supporter of Medjugorje also; and would be very much interested in how you would respond to the “flinching” moment regarding one of the seers. God bless you all on this site! Your brother Shane 😊

• March 6, 2017 at 7:30 am

I’m shocked that people say The aparitions are false and the work of the Satan.
          There were and still are many, many conversions.
          Hundreds visiting Medugorje-became priests, deacons and nuns. How can this be the work of the prince of lies???????. I’ve visited 3 times and I know that I am who I am today because of Our Blessed Mothers apparitions in Medj. Medj has changed my life for good. God bless all the doubting people.

• March 5, 2017 at 10:06 am

Praying for you — Medjugorye has produced good Fruits — Satan would like us to believe all your opinion!

• March 2, 2017 at 9:07 pm

thank you for the information.
    from what I see, the level of hate that seems to be thrown towards Medjugorje and the visionaries now reminds me of the attacks against Trump and before him Sarah Palin.
    I know politics are something completely different but just how I have seen an extreme anger pointed toward these people that I can’t understand.
    I was born in 1964 and missed the riots and protests of the 60’s. I have read about them now and have seen videos. I just can’t understand where that level of anger can come up in a person.
    again, I am praying for the bishop of Mostar and the Congregation investigating Medjugorje. I am especially praying for Mary’s Triumph. Once that happens the matter will settle itself.
    God Bless!!!

• March 2, 2017 at 9:43 pm

A definit decision can not and will not be made until the apparitions will end. The Bishop of Mostar is a duly elected successor to the apostles. He has been made chief shepherd of the diocese by the Pope. He is not an elected official. His judgement is made on the apparitions as to what he sees to be the truth. If t and when the apparitions stop and the Gospa stops talking since she has spoken daily since June of 1981. What is so important. jesus only spoke 3 years in public ministry and mary is speaking for 36 years. I make no judgement but i believe the facts are clear.

• March 3, 2017 at 9:36 am

Why do they have to end 1st ??

• March 3, 2017 at 1:15 pm

They have to end first because that is the rule of the church for centuries. The rule is logical. Nothing can be added or subtracted from the apparitions. I believe the visionaries should ask the Gospa when are the visions to end. She was asked by St. Bernadette a Lourdes What is your name and Mary answered.

• March 3, 2017 at 1:38 am

Was disappointed that EWTN’s Raymond Arroyo mentioned this unauthorized bishop’s statement but NOT the Vatican ruling on this being his personal views. Pretty sad when you don’t get the whole truth from the Catholic Television station.

• March 3, 2017 at 8:46 am

I’m not surprised that you don’t mention Pope Francis’ comment concerning false “visionaries” who can command our lady to appear upon request at different times and in different places. Obviously a reference to events surrounding this false apparition.

The so-called “visionaries ” are longer able to speak in churches and dissimulate the so-called messages. The bishops of the area are correct. This should have died out a long time ago, except for the millions of euros it brings in for those who are promoting it, including travel agencies and pilgrimage promoters.

What is the solution to this mess? Stop the dissimulation of the “messages”. Officially state , the investigation is now closed, and there is lack of sufficient canonical evidence to the clear the events as authentic. Lastly, in order to save face, make the site a shrine of prayer. This undoubtedly will take place in the very near future.

• March 3, 2017 at 9:55 am

My wife and I visited Medjugorje in 1987 and 1988. The first visit turned our lives around. We found that our Lady was calling us to a deeper relationship with her Son and we did just that. Since then the fire has never burned out. Our prayer life continues to deepen and our involvement with all things Catholic increases by the year. Thanks to our Lady for this call. I no longer am waiting for the apparition to be approved since so many millions of pilgrims have turned their lives back to God. That is enough proof for us. Praise Jesus!!

• March 3, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Dear Permalink: Did you ever consider that the graces received were given not because of but in spite of? “Where sin abounds grace abounds the more.” Rom: 5-20.

• March 3, 2017 at 12:46 pm

As per the words of Bible, One has to see the fruits of a person’s life to see if his good or not. There should not be any ambiquity in one’s life. The fact that some of the visioneries are running hotels in Medjugorje is disturbing. If somebody sees the mother of God at least once in their life time , would it not be enough to send him/her on a prayerful, ascetic life for the rest of their life. It so happenned with other visioneries before Medjugorje. Both Bernadette and Lucia entered convent, Jacintha and Francessco embraced early death to enter heaven. One can understand from the old Tastement that after Moses came down the mountain spending time with God, his face was radiating the light of God, which people could see. Or else , just see the face of an infant , which radiates the beauty of innocence which attracts evryone to. it. Like wise the life, actions, countenance , prayer life and each and every action of a person can inform the sanctity of their life. They need not prove anything or vouch safe for their action’s authenticity . Moreover, to say that a bishop has lost his authority is not in any lay man’s purview but to be dealt by the Pope. Who has given the authority to the visinories to disobey any bishop for that matter?. Did mother Mary has given the visioneries authoitty to go against the Bishop of Moster?. If any one could read the Diary of St. Faustina, there you can find Jesus telling Faustina to seek the permission of her Mother in charge to attend a retreat given by Jesus himself. Christ exalted Himself by obedience unto death , hence any disobedience in any form is not from God.

• March 3, 2017 at 1:59 pm

U miss the big point – the lifestyles – the normal lifestyle converts people/ it saves souls- it is highly disturbing to me to read your words when just recently my wife returned to the Catholic Church after reading Mirijana’s book. Why? Because my wife could relate to her as a woman, a wife, and as a mother . I love Sr. Lucia but she was not going to move my wife back to the church as a cloistered nun – God has his plans – again it is the normal lives of the visionaries that has converted countless people.

• March 3, 2017 at 4:20 pm

A question for you….when have the Med. visionaries ever been disobedient? Never…..they have always followed what the church has asked of them. Even Fr. Jozo, in the beginning, did not believe, then, later, endured prison for his belief IN the apparitions. All of the visionaries above made their life choice’s/fulfilled God’s plan for them, after their apparitions had stopped. And, just because a couple of bishops don’t happen to have the humility to believe in this glorious gift, doesn’t make it untrue. There were plenty of unbelieving clergy and religious as well with your above stated apparitions and visionaries at the time….until they was approved….so it continues now….as we wait for the Church’s official opinion. .

• March 3, 2017 at 6:04 pm

The alleged visionaries was and is forbidden to transmit any “messages”, they should not have public “visions” but have them in privacy. There should not be any talks about that Virgin Mary is appearing in Medjugorje. So you see they are disobedient.

This article is misleading. Bishop Peric is not ‘unauthorised’. Zadar declaration says “it can not be affirmed that one is dealing with supernatural apparitions and revelations.” = non constat de supernaturalitate.

The “non constat de supernaturalitate” status clearly leaves open the room for further data to be considered, while at the same time also MAKING CLEAR, that nothing examined up to the time of this commission indicated anything of supernatural origin.

Since this did not receive an absolute negative judgment (“constat de non supernaturalitate”), the declaration comprehends that visitors will need pastoral care.

Those who think that conversions in Medjugorje mean absolutely that Virgin Mary is appearing there, are mixing things. People have conversions everywhere!!! At any time!!! That doesn’t mean Virgin Mary is appearing there, even if someone claimed it. Bishop Peric is right. So far it has not been confirmed Our Lady is appearing in M. This is a fact!!! Twice the Church has given this judgement. So what’s the problem?

• March 3, 2017 at 12:56 pm

I went to Medjugorje in Oct. of 2000. I heard the the Blessed Mother was appearing there. I could not make up my mind to go on the Pilgrimage that was going there from Denver, Co., where I live. One day I was praying the Rosary and the medal, where we say the “Hail Mary” had turned to Gold. That is when I knew Mary was calling me.
    After being in Medjugorje for a week, I felt like I had been on a Spiritual Retreat, but was not seeing anything different. Most of the members of the group had seen the Sun Miracle. On our last day there, I told God, it was okay, I believed, without seeing. That evening, while saying the Rosary, in the area behind St. James Church, I saw!! All I could think is, “God, how great you are!!”

• March 3, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Only fruits I see are disobedience which isn’t from the holy spirit, all the Saints were obedient even if they didn’t agree, Satan’s favorite sin, pride.
    Seems fake to me, but you can get a spiritual experience anywhere you visit the Eucharist where Jesus himself is and pray rosary, that’s real faith, going to see a seer under disobedience to get Jesus or his mother is a lack of faith, and appearing on command is a sign of a fake. Can’t believe everything seer.

Read this link below for yourself.

• March 3, 2017 at 4:00 pm

My mind and soul have seen the goodness of the Lord! Honestly, I don’t care what opinions come from anyone, including the Bishop of Mostar, since these same views have been coming out of that Diocese since the 80’s when the visions started. I went in 87 and it is the individual experience and faith that forms your thoughts about this holy place. Why anyone’s heart could not hope and smile just a little, knowing all the wonderful things that can happen and even change someone’s life for the better is beyond me, even if you don’t fully believe. Have to look at the whole picture and not be so hard.

• March 3, 2017 at 7:23 pm

You need to study canon law. Canon Law says that the competent authority when it comes to Marian Apparitions is the Diocesan Bishop. Therefore the opinion of the Bishop IS THE DECIDING FACTOR! IT IS NOT JUST A PERSONAL OPINION! The Diocesan Bishop where an alleged apparition takes place is the judge of its authenticity. If he says it’s not authentic, end of story. For some reason, everyone things “The Vatican” needs to approve or disapprove. That’s not the law of the Church. Sorry. With the Diocesan Bishop’s judgment the case is close. Our Lady is not appearing here. It’s a fake.

• March 4, 2017 at 9:05 am

I saw the light of Our Lady on a video tape a friend who had visited Medujgorie gave me to watch. The camera was facing the visionaries, so the light was in front of the supposed Madonna who was visiting during the filming. My friend said, “there was no light on the tape.” All these years I figured it was a gift to me to see the light. I still believe what I saw. But, I would never visit Medjugorie because the local bishop said he does not believe anything supernatural is happening there. The local bishop has the authority to give his opinion and we as the sheep are to follow that opinion, until he is or might not be overruled by the Holy See. Every time a bishop announces about apparitions they are “his opinion”. To say that hold no authority is wrong. Listen to the “Called to Communion” radio show from 3/3/17 where David Anderson addresses this same topic. Also, read the CruxNow.com article you will learn some things about what has happened during the “apparitions” that have not be publicized before.

• March 4, 2017 at 12:08 pm

CNA should never have published and circulated all of this as FACT !!!

• March 4, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Medugorje is a good place to gather people to pray with the Eucharist, priest. You can make a gathering of thousands of people anywhere to pray with Jesus in the Eucharist and priests and you’ll get the same effect as Medugorje even healings, happens at mass in every church all the time. Anyone can even make a false claim of apparition and many will come and it’ll bring money which is the main motive, even though you’ll bring many people to pray and the Lord will bring good out of that fake seers evil, that seer will have to answer God one day if they caused others to belive in some false message that is a heresy. Careful whose message you follow, better to go see Jesus in the Eucharist which is real faith.

• March 4, 2017 at 3:26 pm

You, Patrick Madrid and Patrick Coffin will also have to answer to God for potentially directing people away from the redemptive graces of the Blessed Mother.

• March 4, 2017 at 4:25 pm

I have been blessed to have been called there twice. And yes it’s a calling. One says there have been no miracle well let me tell you a story the frist time I was I just returned back to my catholic faith and was climbing up apparition mountain with a group of people I had never met before the trip as I was going up a gentleman was carrying a woman if you have been there you know how rock it is to climb. He fell right on top of her I could hear some bones brack. It was around 9::00 am and 89 dregs for some reason I put a blanket in my back pack. I took it out to give her some shad and started to pray for her little did I know till after words I was praying in her language ltailan. They were thanking for my prayers. She was totally out of it and they had to wait for medical could come up and carry her down the hill. Later that evening I went mass and there she was singing and dancing she came right to me giving me a huge hug and praising Jesus. Changed my life for every there were other miracle that happened with me on that trip. So no miracle I think not everyday there happening.
    United in Prayer Ed

• March 6, 2017 at 9:54 am

I was called to medjugorje in 1990 through unbelievable circumstances. In total I have been there 15 times. My life has turned around for the better with love Our lady is definitely appearing there. My knowledge is weak but my faith is strong. But remember the high priests didn’t recognize Jesus when he came
    God bless all of us in this world of confusion